http://riversruminations.blogspot.com/ >

About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States
As I walk along in life, my muses dance with reflection inspiring me to release the thoughts and emotions of my pondering mind through poetry.

Prompt Poetry & Promotion page for The River

*plus the archive of my older poetry

Sunday, October 17, 2010

~ Dating Blues ~

 






Dating comes in a vast array of colors
from pink to black to red to blue.
All depending on ones age and story.

I am in my mid thirties, walking with a cane
a growing child along my side
entering the dating world disabled.

The colors swarm around me
as I play my part
face to face with the Blues of dating.

I am asked, “Why do you have a cane?”
“What do you do for a living?”
Do I lie? Do I tell only part of my story?

I flat out tell my story
only to watch their eyes get bigger,
the look of flight settling in the rings
as they bolt away like lightening
during a summer storm.

I stand in the Blackness of dating                                    
hesitant to step, longing to sit.

But I believe in love!
No matter if you are fat, thin,
white, black or even disabled
Love does not discriminate.

I convince myself to give it
one more try before I walk away and sit
from the qualms of dating.

He seems different then the rest
He touched my heart
during hours on the phone.

I enter with thoughts of Rose
hoping Blackness doesn’t seep through
staining my face with doubt.

I sit down across from him
neither of us uttering a word
he reaches over to touch my hand
Our eyes lock in one united color
I am bursting with the warmth of Red.
                                         River ©2010 
 







posted for Thursday Think Tank~ Poets United #19 Colors

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

just fabulous. what a beautifully written poem. so full of true beauty.

shubho bijoyadashami (Happy vijayadashami)! May the Goddess fill your life up with beauty and happiness

Anonymous said...

shubho bijoyadashami (Happy vijayadashami)! May the Goddess fill your life up with beauty and happiness

trisha http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com

Brother Ollie said...

Truth in art - well done.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh what a beautiful and romantic story. I, too, believe in love and that a TRUE man will look into your heart, not be put off by cane, story or anything. Yay! I love a good love story. Is there Part Two? :)

Ella said...

Really beautiful it is amazing how at times we have rose colored glasses and then we don't. Love opens us up to see so much more~
I loved it!

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

River,
I enjoyed sharing your story of new found love. I think everything looks and feels different when we experience that emotion.
Good luck with this story!

I am now following your blog.
Best wishes, Eileen

River said...

Oh, I wish I could tell you this is a recent affair. No, it's an old poem and that rose faded a while ago. Today, I am around the spot of siting from the qualms again. We will see. :)

Wysteria said...

A wonderful poem to read. So honest and yet it gives us an insight on how people judge. I understand your feelings and hope things get brighter for you.

"Keep the faith" as the hippies you never met would say!

Wysteria

Copyright ©-All material unless otherwise stated

Contact the author for permission for the usage/printing of all copyrighted material on these pages.


Labels