http://riversruminations.blogspot.com/ >

About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States
As I walk along in life, my muses dance with reflection inspiring me to release the thoughts and emotions of my pondering mind through poetry.

Prompt Poetry & Promotion page for The River

*plus the archive of my older poetry

Thursday, April 21, 2011

R ~ Ring around the Rosy



Ring around the Rosy

1
A nursery rhyme
passed down to us
we teach our children
young to sing and play

not really ever knowing
what it truly means
not really ever caring
it’s a nursery rhyme

How bad could it be?

2
Ring around the rosy
with a pocket full of poesy
ashes, ashes
we all fall down

the children go
around and  around
till ashes and ashes
they all fall down
giggling with joy
wanting to go again
and again.

3
A nursery rhyme
telling a story of a plague
full of puss and death
infected sores
burning the sick
high above ground
while ashes fall.

Ring around the rosy
with a pocket full of posy
ashes, ashes
we all fall down

  River 4/11








5 comments:

Bubba said...

I had a teacher in school who told us the gruesome truths behind "Ring Around The Rosy" and other nursery rhymes. Royal scandals, governmental scheming, famine and disease. The worst part is that these seemingly innocent rhymes were being taught to children, deviously used to perpetuate such negativity.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wow, I didnt know that. But always have thought "fairy tales" are kind of grim. Good one, River.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

creepy, isn't it? *shudder*

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Shelli said...

I had been taught that, too. But now, you piqued my interest, and I looked it up. That may have been a mistaken interpretation. Although "Rockabye Baby" is still pretty sadistic, isn't it?

Sarah Allen said...

Yeah, nursery rhymes can be pretty...interesting, to put it nicely :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Copyright ©-All material unless otherwise stated

Contact the author for permission for the usage/printing of all copyrighted material on these pages.


Labels

My Blog List